The Ashes: South Essex links with Series of the Past…..

Many of us have been taking more than a keen interest in events Down Under.  With this in mind, this website has been looking back over cricket’s history in South Essex and we have unearthed some Ashes connections, which may surprise our younger surfers.  We feature the Australians’ visit to Southchurch Park in May 1948, when the tourists, captained by Donald Bradman, scored 721 in a day.  Another Ashes link details the opening of Hadleigh and Thundersley’s pavilion in August 1953.  The significance of the event was that Essex and England cricketer Trevor Bailey performed the opening ceremony during a rest day of the final test.  Bailey promptly returned to The Oval and played a role in clinching The Ashes in a famous victory.   Our history pages – which can be accessed from the “Yesterdays Our Timeline” option within the menu on the right –  begin with an infamous fixture in 1776 between Essex and Kent at Tilbury Fort.