Yesterdays – Our Timeline
The following links provide a chronology of cricket-related events that have taken place in the South Essex District Cricket Board area. If you believe there is an event or special cricket match which is not listed here and perhaps should be, or you have additional information or photographs that we could use, please contact the South Essex District Cricket Board via email by clicking here.
1918 – Formation of Thurrock Interknit Cricket Club at Dock Road, Tilbury
1935 – Formation of Canvey Island Cricket Club (external web page)
1946 – Southend Mayor in plea to help Essex County Cricket Club
1948 – Don Bradman’s Australia score 721 in a day at Southend
1951 – Formative Years of Fondu Cricket Club (external web page)
1951 – First Southend District Cricket Association Representative Fixture
1951 – Thurrock Cricket Association Hosts an Essex CCC XI at Blackshots
1951 – Thurrock Association Dismiss Dover District
1953 – Southend Cricket Association at Leigh and Chalkwell CC’s Cricket Week
1953 – Southend Cricket Association and Trevor Bailey open Hadleigh’s new pavilion
1953 – Umpires are Bribed at Ashingdon!
1959 – Huge crowd for Lord’s Taverners charity match at Purfleet
1996 – The Zimbabwe One-Day International staged in Thurrock
1998 – Martin Leslie takes 5-27 for Thurrock District U13
1998 – Horndon on the Hill CC win U16 Essex Matchplay at Chelmsford County Ground
1999 – Hat-Trick for Thomas Hills in Thurrock v South Essex U13 District Match
2007 – Leigh-on-Sea Cricket Club’s Centenary Tour of Sri Lanka
2010 – Belhus Cricket Club’s 50th Anniversary
2011 – Lashings World XI at Belhus Cricket Club
2011 – Lashings World XI at Hadleigh and Thundersley Cricket Club
2011 – Thrilling finishes in all three District Youth Finals
2012 – Stanford le Hope CC start 125th Anniversary Celebrations with Spanish Tour
2013 – Thurrock Cricket Club host Essex CCC at Blackshots NEW!
2013 – Hadleigh and Thundersley Cricket Club win Inaugural Essex U18 T20 Competition NEW!
Many of the above events are from either the South Essex District Cricket Board, or from the three District Associations that were in place in our area before our current Board was formed. These three legacy Associations were known as the South East Essex Cricket Association, the Southend Cricket Association and the Thurrock and District Cricket Association.
The Thurrock and District Cricket Association was formed shortly after second world war hostilities ceased in 1946, at an inaugural meeting of club cricketers at Baird’s cafe in Grays.
In 1952, the Southend Cricket Association was formed, though there is a record of a Southend Association team playing at Southend CC the previous year. The Association’s first representative match after it became properly constituted took place on Sunday 16th August 1953 on the occasion of the official opening of Hadleigh and Thundersley CC’s new pavilion at the John Burrows ground (see above).
In 1960, the Basildon Sports Council made its first “Cricketer of the Year” award, which was won by Ken Sandeman. The following year, Basildon Sports Council formed its own “cricket section” known as “TBSC (CS)” – in other words The Basildon Sports Council (Cricket Section). In 1962 it staged its first local knock-out competition, with 12 teams taking part. It became clear that this fledgling cricket section was very quickly taking on the mantle of a pro-active district association; in the same year it selected its first representative team for a fixture against Pegasus CC at Herd Lane, Corringham. Further milestones took place in 1965 when their first single wicket competition was held and then in 1966, TBSC (CS) made an approach to the Marylebone Cricket Club to set up its first umpires training course. A year later, league cricket was introduced to the Basildon and District area.
But it wasn’t all plain sailing. If it is believed that difficulties with grounds only happen in the modern era, think again. In 1964, Pitsea cricket club were forced to leave their local authority managed ground in Rayleigh, as the Council established that none of the Pitsea cricketers were Rayleigh’s ratepayers! Nevertheless, cricket continued to flourish as the Basildon Youth Cricket League was formed in 1967, this was financed by George King Craven and the competition secretary was Ken Evens – our current President. This under 16 competition also involved clubs from the Southend area.
In 1982, the TBSC (CS) was replaced by the South East Essex Cricket Association and was commonly known as SEECA. Ken Evens was its Chairman. In 1993, the Southend Cricket Association merged with SEECA to form a stronger organisation. Then, in 1997, the Thurrock and District Cricket Association merged with SEECA in the knowledge that, the following year, the England and Wales Cricket Board would be establishing five regional cricket boards within the County of Essex. SEECA and Thurrock would become known as the South Essex District Cricket Board, which remains relatively stable today.
First Class cricket has been played in our area at Southchurch Park, Chalkwell Park, and for a small number of one-day Sunday fixtures at the former Thames Board Mills sports ground at Purfleet. From 2005 until 2011, Essex CCC staged a festival at Garons Park, Southend which involved a four-day county championship match and a one-day game. In both 2012 and 2013, the ground hosted two first class 40-overs per side fixtures of the Unicorns CC.